Families of Grenfell Tower victims have condemned the decision to dismantle the structure, calling it “disgraceful and unforgivable.” Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner confirmed on Wednesday that the tower would be brought down to ground level, a move that has deeply upset bereaved families and survivors of the 2017 fire that claimed 72 lives.
Grenfell United, representing affected families, stated that no one in the meeting with Rayner supported the decision, criticizing the government for disregarding their wishes. The fate of the 24-storey tower has long been debated, with some advocating for it to stand as a permanent memorial, while others argue for its removal.
A former resident suggested keeping part of the structure intact to serve as a memorial, warning that, “if it’s out of sight, it will definitely be out of mind.” A formal government announcement is expected on Friday.
Rayner faced criticism for not disclosing how many bereaved families and survivors had been consulted during the “recent, short four-week consultation.” A Grenfell United spokesperson emphasized: “Ignoring the voices of the bereaved regarding our loved ones’ gravesite is disgraceful and unforgivable.”
Kimia Zabihyan of Grenfell Next of Kin, who attended the meeting, described it as “charged.” She noted that Rayner took the decision seriously and based it on engineers’ recommendations. The government has previously been warned of the tower’s structural instability due to fire damage. Reports in 2019 and 2020 recommended its removal above the 10th floor due to weather-induced damage to reinforced concrete.
A spokesperson for the prime minister said Rayner had engaged with the Grenfell community since her appointment and considered expert advice on health and safety before making her decision.
The issue remains deeply personal. One bereaved individual told Rayner: “No one cares about this more than me. I only had bits of bone to bury of my mother. That building holds her soul, her ashes.”
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer acknowledged the painful nature of the decision but stressed, “We must always keep the victims of this terrible tragedy in mind.”
Opinions in the community remain divided. Mushtaq Lasharie, chairman of the Lancaster West Estate Residents Association, supported the decision, stating: “We have waited over seven years for closure. The majority of residents wanted it removed because it is unsafe and a daily reminder of the tragedy.”
Emma O’Connor, who lived on the 20th floor and survived the fire, proposed a compromise: “Remove the unstable top floors but preserve part of it as a standing memorial. If it’s out of sight, those responsible for the deaths may forget.”
She criticized the consultation process, stating that survivors were told, “I’ve made this decision, I’ll take questions now,” without clear justification for dismantling the tower.
Emma Dent Coad, former MP for Kensington, described the bereaved as “absolutely distraught,” emphasizing that some consider the tower a sacred site. Current MP Joe Powell acknowledged the painful decision but warned, “So much was promised after the fire but never delivered. Without the tower, the push for accountability may diminish.”
Journalist Kate Lamble highlighted conflicting views: some see the tower as a sacred resting place, while others want it removed to alleviate daily trauma.
The Grenfell fire, sparked by a faulty fridge in a fourth-floor flat, spread rapidly due to highly flammable cladding. A public inquiry concluded in 2023 that systemic failures in government and the construction industry led to the disaster.
Despite calls for criminal charges, authorities have stated no decisions will be made until 2026. Meanwhile, the Grenfell Tower Memorial Commission has proposed creating a “sacred space” incorporating a garden, monument, and private reflection areas for families to mourn their loved ones.